Tuesday, April 15, Regular Meeting
(Meetings Changed to Science Center at 7:00)
Program: University of Iowa Scholarship Winners will present:
Luan Heywood - "Oceanic geology: The final frontier"
While inquiring minds have studied geology on land for thousands of years, it is only recently that technological advances have allowed for undersea exploration. This talk will compare and contrast the challenges and strengths of conducting field work in subaerial and marine settings, in terms of research currently being conducted at the University of Iowa.
Eric McDonald - "Pb isotopes and the age of Earth"
Eric will discuss how Pb isotopes have been used to illustrate when the Earth formed and its early history.
Also, Dr. Mark Reagan will talk about the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP) and an upcoming major drilling project into the seafloor in the western Pacific south of Japan.
- May Program: Brent Studer, Kirkwood CC, Dwarf Planets: Solitary Wanderers in the Outer Solar System.
The program will address what we know about these remote bodies and what they might tell us about our own world.
- Sept Program: Rhawn Dennison from Cornell College
- Oct Program: Eric Fritz from Omaha
- Nov Program: Tom Whitlatch on Lapidary.
Rock, Mineral and Fossil Show, Mar. 15-16, 2014: Our 50th Show - All That Glitters...
Featuring special exhibits of and about gold. Also featuring an juvenile T-rex, courtesy of Michael & Barbara from Treasures of the Earth, Pennsylvania.
- Click for Flyer
- Hawkeye Downs
- Sat. from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sun. from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Dealers & Programs will be updated close to the show
Safety Training Scheduled for Mar 13
- Mine Safety & Health Administration-certified training for field trips is scheduled for Mar. 13.
- Cedar Rapids Ladd Library, 3750 Williams Blvd. SW, Cedar Rapids. (Old Target/Stuff Etc Store)
- Classes last 2 hours and will be held at 2:00 and 6:00.
- Email Marv to register.
- Check the February newsletter for further information. Cost is $10. If you are renewing certification, you are required to bring both the book and your certificate to the class.
- Click for Map to the Library.
Largest Fossil-Only Show in the World
Mid America Paleontolgy Society (MAPS)
April 4-6, 2014
Sharpless Auctions Facility, I-80 Exit 249, Iowa City, IA
- Fri. & Sat 8-5
- Sun 8-3 (limited dealers on Sun.)
- Live Auction Sat at 5:15
- Check the MAPS webpage for further information
CALENDARS OF EVENTS
to see events scheduled by clubs in the Midwest area.
No flash player!
It looks like you don't have flash player installed. Click here to go to Macromedia download page.